Welcome to byogeek tutorials
Here you will be able learn almost anything you need to know about creating your own website
starting from the very basics of a simple home page and working your way step by step towards
creating more advanced, full scale, interactive websites.
These tutorials are designed for the complete beginner who knows absolutly nothing when it comes
to the internet. Please feel free to skip ahead to the more advanced lessons via the tutorial links on the
left hand side.
This website is a work in progress. I'll be adding more and more tutorials as time goes on so keep
What you need to get started
- A working computer with a web browser
(if you're reading this website on the internet then you have one.)
- Notepad or a simple text editor
Do not use microsoft word or similar programs that are designed for writing things such as letters and
business documents. I'll explain why later.
If you have windows on your computer then you should have notepad.
When you're ready, click here to get started on making your
very first web page.
Site news & updates
- Monday 3rd august 2009
- Tuesday 28th July 2009
- Friday 1st May 2009
- It's been a while since I've done any updates here but I'm getting the ball rolling again.
While some css is handy to know, I'm not the hugest fan of it and it gets kinda boring, I will be continuing on the
css tutorials eventually, but for now I've decided to start on something a little more exciting. Php programming, lesson 1 is up and if you stay tuned
and you'll learn some pretty neat stuff.
- added php lesson 3your first php program, it's not "hello world"!!!
- added php lesson 2what you need to start php programming.
- added php lesson 1, an intro to what php is.
- added publishing lesson 5 uploading your files and concluding the publishing tutorials.
- added publishing lesson 4, discussing domains and subdomains.
- reviewed and edited publishing lesson 3.
- Tuesday 16th December 2008
- Wednesday 27 August 2008
- Sunday 24 August 2008
- Finished and uploaded the colour code chart with
explainations, examples of use and cross reference between hex and rgb codes.
- Wednesday 20 August 2008
Anyway just letting you all know that while there havn't been any visible updates for a little while,
some behind the scenes work is coming along and will be available to you shortly so don't despair. Thanks for checking back.
- Just posting a quick news update for those awaiting my next lesson on hosting.
I hope to have it ready and online after the weekend which means by then you'll all be able to get yor own webpages online.
- I've also been working on the colour code chart to give you not only the hexadecimal codes
but also the rgb codes... and an explaination of what the heck that means along with some examples of use.
That's not quite ready yet, but will be very soon.
May have that online for you all before the weekend, but no promises.
- Next on the list, I'll be starting on the css tutorials, thinking of alternating between doing one css lesson,
then a php lesson, then another css lesson or something like that but i'll see how we go.
- Saturday 9th August 2008
- Tuesday 5th August 2008
- reviewed, updated and rearranged all html lessons written so far.
- broke up some of the larger single lessons into multiple smaller lessons.
- added html lessons 35 to 45 on using forms.
- added lesson 20 on using images as links.